Monday, August 2, 2010

Lesson for the Week


A Confident Life

Alright, this one is for all the Star Wars fans. I know there are those of you like me out there who think Yoda is ‘the man’. The best part of his character is his wisdom. He just knows what to say, and when and how to say it. One of the best lines from Yoda is “There is no try. There is only do or do not.” Let’s think about that in context with the life of Jesus. Jesus never really ’tried’ anything. He either did it or He didn’t do it. I believe we all have the ability to walk in that kind of confidence. Through the sacrifice Jesus made for us, God has given us a power that few of us, including myself, really know how to use. Consider the miracles of Jesus. He healed the sick, turned water into wine, cast out demons, and calmed a storm; and even so, He tells us that we as believers can do greater things. “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” (John 14:12, NIV) To some, myself included, that seems like an overwhelming proposition.
The other day I was bringing my daughter home from her grandmother’s house. It happened to be extremely windy, as it is most days in the late winter and early spring here in the mountains. Now, Zoë, much like her mother, does not like cold weather, especially when it is windy. As we got out of the car and were walking into the house, she stopped, put up her hand, and shouted, “STOP, WIND!! STOP!” Of course I thought that was extremely cute, but I didn’t really expect her to stop the wind. The thought hit me, however, why couldn’t she? Jesus did tell us that it only takes faith as a mustard seed to move mountains (Matthew 17:20-21), so why can‘t my daughter stop the wind? I think this is the type of question we need to ask ourselves. If we have been given the power and authority of God through Christ Jesus, then why aren’t we living a more victorious life? Personally, I don’t think I know all the answers to that question; but I, for one, want to find out. Take time in prayer to ask God how to access the power that He has given us. And as He opens the door, we must also request His wisdom to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment