Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Embracing God


(02/21/12)
 
This morning I saw a note written on a public bathroom wall: “Embrace the beauty of life’s chaos…”  I don’t know who wrote that, but I wish I did so that I could thank them.  That one statement can teach us a lot.
The other day I had to take my daughter to the emergency room.  Now, I know that those two little letters, “ER”, can send any parent into panic mode; but on this occasion, there was a story behind getting there.  A few days prior to our bout to the “ER” my daughter was sick with a stomach virus.  Approximately 7-10 days prior to that, she had a cold.  Through all this sickness, the one thing she couldn’t seem to let go of was her congestion.  Being that she has asthma, I finally decided to take her to the doctor to make sure she wasn’t dealing with bronchitis.
That morning I took her to the nearest urgent care clinic.  We got into the waiting room, told the receptionist our story and gave her Zoe’s insurance card.  Due to the type of insurance we have, our visit had to be approved by her regular doctor.  I guessed this wouldn’t be a problem seeing that it was a Sunday and the pediatrician’s office was closed.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  Zoe’s doctor could not approve the visit; therefore, our insurance wouldn’t pay for it.  In order for her to be seen, we either had to wait until the next day and go to her pediatrician, or go to the emergency room.  Needless to say, I was furious.  I tried to be gracious to all involved, but on the inside, I was fuming.
Since I didn’t want to wait to get Zoe some help, I decided to go ahead and take her to the emergency room.  When I got there, I told the receptionist our story, and she took our information and got Zoe in right away.  Well, there was one thing to be grateful for.  We didn’t have to wait nearly as long there as we would have at the urgent care clinic.  After seeing the nurse, the doctor made it into our room within just a few minutes.  Another miracle!  It usually takes forever for the doctor to get to you at the ER.  Once the doctor assessed the situation and got a quick check of Zoe’s lungs, she had a game plan: give Zoe a breathing treatment and do chest x-rays to check for any signs of pneumonia.  WOW!  I never would have gotten this treatment at the urgent care.  And as I was sitting there, thinking about how well we had been treated, I realized that it was a good thing that we were not “allowed” to see the urgent care doctor.  Don’t get me wrong… they may have done a fine job; but I really felt like Zoe’s needs came first at the ER.  She had several nurses to check on her… the doctor took all precautions… and there was even one nurse that came just to tell her jokes in order to make her feel better!  I know I wouldn’t have gotten that at the urgent care. 
So what’s the moral of my story?  In the chaos and confusion that ensued that day, God was still at work.  What Satan tried to harm us with, God used for good!  So the next time you have a little chaos in your day, just embrace the beauty that is God… in other words, hold on to Him and enjoy the ride!  He has a plan and it is good!

1 Corinthians 2:9
Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment