Monday, November 21, 2011

Stand Firm


(02/18/09)
Stress.  This is a word that a lot of us know intimately.  There are so many things in today’s society to think about, it’s a wonder we don’t completely fall apart some days.  The last several  years of my life have been a carnival of stress; and unfortunately, I didn’t know how to handle any of it.  I was very blessed to have friends and family to talk to; but even that didn’t keep me from feeling the very negative effects of the stress itself.  Over time I started to notice problems with my health: chronic bronchitis to be exact.  I went to doctor after doctor trying to find out what was wrong with me.  I spent money I didn’t have, missed many days of work, couldn’t take good care of my daughter, and watched my marriage fall apart all due to stress.  Stress truly is a killer.  I eventually walked away from a very painful situation in order to be free from the pressure I felt.  But what God showed me is that though I may have needed the break, I wasn’t going to be truly free until I dealt with the cause of my stress. 
God gives us everything we need to handle the negative situations in our lives: but He does expect us to handle them.  Sweeping things under the rug doesn’t help.  We may not see the problems, but they are still there: and eventually they pile up so big that we become trapped.  Running away doesn’t help either.  Sooner or later they catch up with us, and then we have an even bigger mess to deal with.  What God wants us to do is stand firm.  “Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you…“ (2 Chronicles 20:17, NIV)  We are going to have problems, but if we give them over to God, and let Him help us deal with those things as they arise, then we can lead a more peaceful and victorious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment