Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No Matter What...


(01/25/12)

Before Christmas I had to have quite a bit of testing done.  Along with my regular doctor, I had to go to a general surgeon, a gynecologist, and a dermatologist.  One of the tests I had to have was a skin biopsy.  It was not my first time having the procedure done, but this particular lesion was in a very unusual spot, so I was a little more nervous than I had been in the past.  Before the procedure, I was told by more than one doctor that approximately 99% of the time, these particular cases are benign.  Every time I heard that statistic, I was comforted.  And each time I talked to a friend or family member about the procedure, I found myself quoting that same statistic.  Then one day in church God decided to give me a little nudge and remind me that He is bigger than any statistic.  He is the source of my comfort, not a number.  I suppose it would have been easier to keep that in mind had the numbers not been in my favor… if I had been told there was a 50% chance of that the lesion was malignant… or even a 75% chance.  Those numbers definitely would not have comforted me then; and I would have found myself focusing on God and His goodness as opposed to a number.  What I learned is that regardless of whether the numbers are in my favor or not, regardless of whether I win or lose, regardless of whether the news is good or bad, God is in control… and He is greatly to be praised! (1 Chronicles 16:25)

1 Peter 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment