Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lesson for the Week of 4/6/10


Please Don’t Throw Me in that Briar Patch!!
Ok, imagine this. I’m at Disneyworld with my daughter, friends, and family for Easter. The trip is for her as I don’t like to ride roller coasters, flying rides, or anything that spins excessively. There is one ride, however… just one… that has eluded me for more than fifteen years. “Splash Mountain”. I almost got on it with an old roommate, but chickened out at the last minute; but Sunday, I did it. Here’s my story. I made the decision to get in line knowing that I would stay nervous for the entire hour I waited to get on. I talked with my sister and her daughter calmly, like I’d never known fear, but the whole time I was thinking about a way out. I was reading signs telling me of the 50 foot drop to come. I was listening to people scream as they were thrown through the “briar patch” into the water below. I was smelling the chlorine in the water and tasting the gum I happened to be snapping as I walked. Most importantly, I was praying. What should I do God? Should I stay in line or get out? Should I see this through, or just live with the knowledge that I let this ride get the better of me? In the past, I was content with the knowledge of defeat; but that day, I could find no peace in that thought process. There was one thought that kept me going. It was you… my partners and readers. God put it in my head that I couldn’t ever ask you to face your fears when I wasn’t willing to face my own. I couldn’t live with being a hypocrite. So, even though the last chance exit was calling my name, I forced myself to get in that boat. I expected two drops, one small and one large. What I got was a rip roaring ride… one that I don’t really want to do again; but that‘s not the point. I think the point is just that I did it at all. It was a step, and that’s all that God expects… steps... steps of faith. The next time you have a step in front of you that you can’t seem to take, remember me, terrified, but determined. Keep the attached picture in your mind. There I am, the top left, in the brown shirt. See my face? I’m just about to go into the briar patch, and guess what? God brought me through, and I’m still here!

Psalm 27:1-3
Hebrews 11
Matthew 14:25-33

No comments:

Post a Comment