Friday, March 23, 2012

Waiting on You


 A few weeks ago I got the privilege of taking a tour of two local prisons.  I had never been able to take a tour like that before and I was very excited to see what God had in store for me that day.  I was anxious to not only see the facilities, but meet some of the prisoners and staff.  I got my wish, and eventually I will write about each of the people who touched my heart that day, but right now I want to tell you about Miss Minnie.  She is an elderly lady who volunteers at the prison in order to teach the inmates music. That day when she saw our tour group, she came slowly towards us, cane tapping as she walked.  She smiled at each of us; and without even being asked, she gave us her testimony.  She had been a single mother of four children during a time when single motherhood was not very prevalent.  She worked and volunteered at her church, all the while taking care of her kids.  One day a man from the local prison called and asked her to come and teach the prisoners music.  She found the request interesting; but as most of us are prone to do, she let life get in the way.  Then several years later she got down on her knees and asked God to give her the direction she felt she had been lacking.  The next day she called the prison.  The man who answered the phone was the same man who had asked her to help several years earlier.  He asked her, “Are you ready to start up that music program now?”… to which she replied, “You mean in all these years no one has started one?”  He said, “I guess we’ve been waiting on you.”  Over and over again we get so caught up in waiting on God to move that we forget there are times when He’s waiting on us.  Whatever it is you’re waiting on God for, check with Him to make sure He’s not waiting on you. 

“You see, his faith and his actions worked together. 
His actions made his faith complete.”      
 (James 2:22, NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment